Classics is the study and appreciation of the culture and wisdom of antiquity, in language, literature, philosophy, history, and related humanities. This category includes links to resources and organizations of classicists, English translations of works in ancient Greek and Latin, and crosslinks to related ODP subjects.
Related categories 2
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Internet Resources for Classical Studies Book reviews, bibliography, and language, art, culture, and mythology links for students of antiquity. From Indiana University.
- Centre for the Study of Ancient Documents The Centre for the Study of Ancient Documents was established in 1995 under the auspices of Oxford University's Faculty of Literae Humaniores to provide a focus for the study of ancient documents in Oxford.
- Literary Resources A list of classical and Biblical-oriented websites maintained by a professor at Rutgers University.
- The Internet Classics Archive Provides 441 online works of classical literature with a powerful search facility. A booklist links directly to relevant pages in online bookshops. Classical trivia questions can be posted and answered.
- Corinth Computer Project Extensive multimedia site incorporating historical, literary and archaeological information from Corinth, Greece during the Roman era. Suitable for scholars, students, and the public at large.
- Textkit Language learning site which provides free Greek and Latin grammars, reading material, classical e-books and other learning resources and downloads.
- Torrey Philemon's Muses Articles on mythology and ancient Greek/Roman literature, and resources.
- Greek 'n' Stuff Learn biblical Greek or classical Latin. Bible nuggets. Homeschool links/classical links/family pages.
- Voice of the Shuttle: Classical Studies A large index of links to various classical history, art, archaeology, language and literature journals, texts, syllabi, forums, and other resources. From the University of California at Santa Barbara.
- Ancient Scripts of the World Indexed by region, with articles on writing systems, sounds and phonetics, historical linguistics, and related study materials.
- Studies in the Classics Essays, texts, and studies on classical literature and language from Prof. William Harris of Middlebury College.
- Classical Literature/Language at About.com Collection of resources and links pertaining to the Greco-Roman authors and literature.
- Classical Studies (humanities.classics) FAQ Frequently asked questions for the newsgroup humanities.classics. Includes bibliographies, glossaries and compendia of mythological characters. Maintenance ceased August 2000.
- Library of Congress Resources for Greek and Latin Classics Resources for studying Classical and Medieval literature.
- Stoa Consortium The Stoa Consortium provides a venue for the exploration of innovations in scholarly communication, with a focus on Classics and Classical Archaeology. It hosts numerous classical electronic projects, guides to best practices, fora, a CVS and a weblog.
- Diotima An interdisciplinary resource for the study of patterns of gender around the ancient Mediterranean and as a forum for collaboration among instructors who teach courses about women and gender in the ancient world. Includes course materials, the beginnings of a systematic and searchable bibliography, and links to many on-line resources, including articles, book reviews, databases and images.
- Classics Unveiled Portal to three reference and resource sites for ancient Roman history, culture, and daily life; Greek mythology; and Latin vocabulary words.
- Orange St. Press Classics Free classic literature in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). View online, download, print.
- Summer Courses in the Classics A list of classics courses offered during the summer by colleges and universities throughout the world, sorted by discipline and subject of study.
- Leuven Database of Ancient Books (LDAB) Searchable database aiming to catalog all ancient literary texts with information including a description of the text, language, medium, authors, current location, and plates. Sponsored by the Catholic University of Leuven.
- Maecenas: Images of Ancient Greece and Rome Images of Ancient Greece and Rome, free for non-commercial download and use.
Text Tools and Lexica
From The Perseus Project. Includes an English/Greek Word Search, English/Latin Word Search, Liddell Scott-Jones Greek Lexicon, and Lewis and Short Latin Dictionary.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-05-31 14:57:16 CET (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/search?redirect=true)
Ancient History Sourcebook
Extensive selection of links, study guides, and articles pertaining to the ancient Near East and ancient Mediterranean worlds, as well as some public domain translations of classical texts. At Fordham.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-05-31 14:57:39 CET (http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook.asp)