A roleplaying game (RPG) is a structured method of playing "Let's Pretend", in which players create characters to serve as protagonists in a fictional world created by a game master. Although characters and plots are driven largely by the imagination of the participants, game rules are used to resolve the results of dramatic conflicts, providing the games with a necessary element of suspense. Roleplaying began with the creation of the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons in Wisconsin in 1972, but now includes hundreds of commercial systems and homemade RPGs in many languages and genres. This category primarily covers what are often called tabletop roleplaying games (because they are typically played sitting around a table, with books and dice) but also includes its pen-and-paper descendants, live action roleplaying (where players dress up and physically act out their characters' actions) and gamebook roleplaying (system-based interactive fiction).
Related categories 2
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Strolen's Citadel - The Idea Guild Searchable fantasy resource for game masters and players for original plots and items.
- Pen & Paper News and reviews for current and upcoming roleplaying games. Also features a RPG Database, release dates, message board, fonts, and gaming databases for Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars d20, Exalted, and World of Darkness.
- KMANT - Killing Monsters And Nicking Treasure Offering roleplaying news and reviews, product information, links and a list of RPG shops in the United Kingdom.
- RPG Resource Dedicated to supporting roleplaying campaigns by providing company and product lists with reviews, links, and general resources.
- Alan De Smet - Role-Playing Games A selection of practical tips for game masters and players of any system, information about some Gaming Conventions, and resources for Amber, Dungeons and Dragons, and Shadowrun.
- RPGMP3.com Audio resources for roleplaying sessions, as well as audio reviews and downloads.
- GreeneThorne's Realm Detailing the various RPGs that the author plays. Also contains custom gaming software for download.
- The Ogmios Project Information and resources for game masters and players.
- Styles of Roleplaying John H. Kim's rec.games.frp.advocacy FAQ, dealing with abstract (no one system) and RPG classification issues.
- RPG Blog Blog with news, reviews, and analysis.
- Errant Dreams Features articles, essays, reviews, and email newsletters.
News and reviews with forums and chatrooms.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-10 14:14:37 CET (http://www.geeknative.com)
The Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ("ENnies") are an annual fan-based celebration of excellence in tabletop roleplaying. Nominees and prior winners are presented with voting opportunity and staff as well as a blog.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-10 14:14:47 CET (http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/)