Cerebral Palsy is a term used to describe a group of chronic conditions affecting body movements and muscle coordination. It is caused by damage to the brain, usually occurring during fetal development, or during infancy. It can also occur before, during or shortly following birth. Cerebral Palsy is neither progressive (it doesn't get worse with time), nor communicable (you can't "catch it"). It is one of the most common disabling conditions of childhood. There are 4 types of Cerebral Palsy: Spastic Cerebral Palsy characterized by stiff and difficult movement; Athetoid Cerebral Palsy characterized by involuntary and uncontrolled movement; Ataxic Cerebral Palsy characterized by a disturbed sense of balance and depth perception; and Mixed Cerebral Palsy.
Related categories 4
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Cerebral Palsy: A Guide for Care Describes causes, symptoms, diagnosis, prognosis, treatment options, and types of cerebral palsy.
- Cerebral Palsy Resource Center Provides information about many aspects of cerebral palsy, including history, types, causes, and CP in the media. From Carolyn, a woman with spastic hemiplegia as well as a seizure disorder.
- Midwife Archives: Maternal Infection and Cerebral Palsy Describes the increased risk of cerebral palsy created by maternal infection.
- Causes of Cerebral Palsy CP has its origins in genetic and non genetic factors. This sites explores its causes from both positions.
- NINDS Cerebral Palsy Information page compiled by The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
- Cerebral Palsy: Hope Through Research An informational booklet on CP compiled by NINDS, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
- ‘One day I'll watch my son die’ Soon after the death of the Cameron’s boy, Claire Bates, whose son has cerebral palsy and epilepsy, describes the emotional consequences of having a terminally ill son.
How Can I Help
Information for friends and relatives of a child with cerebral palsy.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-11 08:55:08 CET (https://www.iinet.net.au/~scarffam/cpa.html)
Kiss it Make it Better: Cerebral Palsy Risks & Pregnancy
Parents guide provides information on steps for preventing cerebral palsy in unborn children.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-11 08:55:10 CET (http://www.kissitmakeitbetter.com/article/cerebral_palsy_pregnancy/)
Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand
Information on the types, causes, effects and management of CP.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-11 08:55:14 CET ()
Patient UK: Cerebral Palsy
Factsheet on this syndrome, including its classificatio, epidemiology, presentation, differential diagnosis, investigations, associated diseases, management, prognosis and prevention.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-11 08:55:23 CET (https://patient.info/doctor/cerebral-palsy-pro)