The concept of xeriscape was developed in Denver, Colorado, in response to water shortages. "Xeros" is a Greek word that means "dry." Xeriscape refers to a landscape that uses little supplemental water. It does not refer to a dry, barren landscape, nor is a xeriscape a "no maintenance" landscape. Like traditional landscapes, a xeriscape may be designed to minimize labor or to require frequent care. Many people appreciate beautiful landscapes, but have limited time to spend tending a garden. By using plants that are well adapted, mulches that suppress weeds and conserve water, and drip irrigation to make the most use of water, these landscapes can have color and fragrance with only monthly or seasonal gardening chores. Gardeners who like to spend time in the garden can design a xeriscape to be as labor intensive as a highly maintained traditional garden, but use much less water.
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Hotgardens Advice about how to create a Mediterranean garden in a hot, dry climate using low water plants and trees.
- Xeriscape information Resource for Xeriscape gardening including plants and water-saving information by Colorado State University
- Xeriscape Misconceptions Mistaken beliefs often prevent acceptance of Xeriscape and these should be corrected.
- Southwest Florida Water Management District Xeriscape Information for Southwest Florida
- Xeriscape Council of New Mexico Organization of horticultural professionals and gardeners provides information on its mission and goals, the annual conference, xeriscape references, and a list of gardens to visit in New Mexico.
- Glendale Xeriscape Botanical Garden Demonstration garden at an Arizona public library using drought-tolerant plants. Virtual tour, and listing of plants grouped by water requirements, with summary information for each.
The Pacific Northwest Xeriscape Garden
Xeriscape garden with listing of plants used.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-12 08:09:50 CET (https://www.backyardgardener.com/garden-interest/my-garden/the-pacific-northwest-xeriscape-garden/)