Aid climbing is when the climber ascends the rock using gear to make progress. This is opposed to free climbing, in which the climber uses gear only for protection. Aid climbing is sometimes synonymous with "big wall" climbing. Most multi-day big wall ascents are aid ascents.
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Trango Russian Aid System Review Review from GearReview.com.
- Bigwall.com Topos, beta, trip reports and photos from walls in Yosemite, the Sierra Nevada, Zion, Fisher Towers and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Plus the Aid Climbing Guide to Southern California.
- Big Wall Climbing Trip reports. Ratings explained. Equipment list. Photos. Route suggestions.
- SuperTopo: The Road to The Nose Sells Chris McNamara's fourteen climb program for building skills, speed, endurance and comfort with big wall exposure. Includes topos.
- Hints For Big-Wall Climbing in Yosemite Tips for beginners, climbing in a three person team, soloing, hauling, and improving speed compiled by Q. Tuan Luong.
- Aid Climbing in a Three Person Team Article by Ken Younge and Tuan Luong giving personal experiences, tips, and techniques.