Letterboxing is a outdoor recreational activity which combines collecting, puzzle-solving, and treasure hunting. Briefly, letterboxing enthusiasts hide and hunt weatherproof containers in remote or scenic places. Each container holds a guestbook, a rubber stamp and stamp pad. The planter of the letterbox distributes clues to its location; solution of these clues may require a combination of skills such as mapreading, orienteering, and puzzle-solving. Letterboxers carry their own stamp book and personal stamp when hunting for hidden boxes. Upon finding a letterbox, they will impress their own book using the found stamp, and leave their own stamping or personalization in the letterbox guestbook. Letterboxing has its roots in Dartmoor, England, in 1854.
Related categories 5
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Have Feet Will Travel Introduction, contact details, and guidelines for letterboxing in the Dartmoor area.
- Letterboxing North America US-based portal offering FAQ, links, forums, and a members-only section where clues can be submitted.
- Letterboxing Minnesota Includes letterboxing basics and clues for Minnesota letterboxes.
- Yahoo! Groups: Letterboxing USA Discussion group for US letterboxers.
- I-95 Letterboxes Clues to quick and easy letterboxes to find while traveling on Route I-95, from Maine to Florida.
- First Finds Posts first finds submitted by new US letterboxers, organized by state.
- New England Area Letterboxing Gatherings Mark and Sue's weblog of letterboxing events in New England.
- History of Dartmoor Letterboxing Account first published as "More Dartmoor Letterboxes" by Anne Swinscow in 1986.
- Atlas Quest Letterboxing Community with forums, searchable clues, trip planner, recording of finds, event listings, trackers, tutorials, photo galleries, and chat room.
- Dartmoor Letterboxing Includes a forum, image gallery, map of the area, contact details, and the history of the activity.
- Yahoo! Groups: Letterboxing Northeast Discussion group for the northeastern US.
- NPR : Letterboxing Radio host Linda Wertheimer and Thomas Johnston, an enthusiast in Washington, D.C., find a letterbox near the White House. [audio]
- New Zealand Letterboxing Clues, views, and news including boxes from Team Psychokiwi, Judi, Linton, and the Bunny.
- Kansas Letterboxes Clues for letterboxes located in Kansas.
- Chowder's Southern California Letterboxes Search for boxes in Long Beach, San Bernardino and Lake Arrowhead, California.
- Letterboxers Anonymous Forum with clues and discussion topics. Includes helpful hints on methods and supplies.
- Fleur de Lis' Letterboxing Journal Weblog about his letterboxing hobby.
- Mark and Sue Pepe Couple from Kensington, Connecticut describe activities in eleven states and the island of Aruba.
- NeeDeep's State Stamp Letterboxes Ambitious family project placing letterboxes in each state, patterned after the US quarters series.
- Chuck's Letterboxing Chuck and Molly's letterboxes in Connecticut.
- Wanda and Pete's Letterboxes Clues for boxes placed primarily in Rhode Island, but a few in other states as well. Also includes logs of the movement of hitchhiker boxes, primarily in New England.
- The Gazette: Letterboxing a Hobby of Inky Fingers and Hidden Treasures Article on local letterboxing from chain of community newspapers near Washington, DC.
- Yahoo! Groups: New Letterboxers Group Discussion forum and articles for those new to letterboxing.
- Aisling Dart Artist from Salem, Massachusetts describes her boxes.
- Der Mad Stamper Rubber stamp carver Mitch offers instructions on how to carve a stamp and clues to the many boxes he's planted in the US.
- Rhode Island's Bored Nocturnal Adventurer's Guild Informal group and clues to the boxes they've planted.
- We Live and Breathe Letterboxing Accounts, photographs, and memorabilia of the 2008 event as well as an online recreation of the letterboxing museum.
- The Mapsurfer Treasureboxes Challenging letterbox clues by Randy Hall, the author of The Letterboxing Companion.
- New Times: Carved in Rubber Introductory article by Ashley Schwellenbach featuring a letterboxer and the founder of Atlas Quest.
- Dartmoor Letterboxes Club Includes information and a map, also with catalogue of letterboxes.
- Letterboxing North America WebRing Links to dozens of forums and clue sites.
- Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection: Letterboxing Official site supports letterboxing in publicly owned state forests. Includes clues and a map of letterbox sites in state forests.
- Dartmoor National Park: Letterboxing 1854 origins and how to get started, related links with contacts in Devon, UK.
- Letterbox Stamper Guide to compass use on Dartmoor, local photo gallery, design and carving rubber stamps, with examples and terms for sale by Paul Hopkinson, Devon, UK.
Fox News: Letterboxing Makes Hiking an Adventure
Feature story datelined Oakland, New Jersey.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-06-13 17:41:51 CET (http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/06/14/letterboxing-makes-hiking-adventure.html)