This category focuses on research, accumulated data, and educational webpages about the scientific study of the forest and rainforest regions.
Related categories 5
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Bois et forets des tropiques Scientific review disseminating knowledge on tropical forest in French, English and Spanish.
- Trees for Life A Scottish conservation charity dedicated to the regeneration and restoration of the Caledonian Forest in the Highlands of Scotland
- Royal Forestry Society of England, Wales and Northern Ireland The Royal Forestry Society is based in the UK and caters for all who care about forestry, forests, woodlands and trees, their husbandry and their future.
- Non-timber Forest Products, Scotland Site promoting the sustainable development and enjoyment of NTFPs, including databases of businesses and information resources.
- Tirimbina Rainforest Center Biological reserve, visitor facilities and lodge offering tropical science education, founded by the Milwaukee Public Museum. Also includes photo gallery.
- Jungle Photos Educational site with a wide range of Amazon rainforest information and hundreds of photos: animals, plants, native people, scenery, space images, conservation, travel, art, related links, news updates.
- Guyana Forestry Commission Contains reports on certification, sustainable forest management, silviculture, zoning, mangroves and social aspects of forestry based on the Guyana experience.
- Ecological restoration of Scottish Wildwood Carrifran Wildwood Project-begun on January 1st, 2000- is recreating an ancient woodland in 1600 acres of Southern Scottish upland valley
- Forestry in the Appalachian Hardwoods of Kentucky Information about forestry practice and forest conservation in this US state. Includes a sample timber cruise report, forest management workshop manual and measurements, state forest history, and ecology links.
- RainTree Resource database of rainforest plants including medicinal properties, preservation options, articles, and clinical trial data.
- Parataxonomist Training Center Research on insects and their relationship to plants of the rainforests of Papua New Guinea.
- Daintree Rainforest Guide to the Daintree region of Tropical North Queensland, Australia. Covers threats, ecological and Aboriginal history, flora and fauna, climate and news.
- International Union of Forestry Research Organizations IUFRO Vienna Office site. IUFRO is a non-profit, non-governmental international network of forest scientists. Its objectives are to promote international cooperation in forestry and forest products research.
- Ancient Forest Exploration and Research Information and research about Ontario's remaining old-growth forest ecosystems, including where to see them and how to help conserve them.
- BIOTA-AFRICA A German-supported (mega)transect study of the Biodiversity of West Africa (Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Benin), East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda), and Southern Africa (Namibia and South Africa).
- East-West Forestry Associates, Inc. California forest inventory data, GIS.
- The Bioesfera Project About the First Spanish-Tropical Forest Biology-Archeology Workshop, in Guatemala in 1995. Site has information about rainforests and interactions of culture and environment.
- APFT Multi-disciplinary project sponsored by the European Community which aims to investigate and document the future of the peoples of the rainforest. Involves over 30 researchers in the Caribbean, central Africa and the southwestern Pacific. Site is for the use of anthropologists and others to promote wider access to information concerning the earth's rainforests and its people.
- The Rainforest Site Protect a piece of Rain Forest for free.
- Sustainable Beech Forestry -- Maruia Forest Describes the controversy about conservation-enhancing sustainable forest management in the beech and rimu forests of West Coast New Zealand. Contains prime scientific papers, letters to politicians, Press Releases, links to other sites.
- Pax Natura a Costa Rica Rainforest A private rainforest preserve in Costa Rica.
- Decoding the Silent Lyrics of Rain Forests The "Tree of Life" shows that animals and plants have a common primordial ancestor. A Nigerian scientist, Philip Emeagwali, argues that the rain forests are the untapped technological gold mines of the 21st century.
- Russian Forests This English language site gives an overview of Russian forests, and the threats facing them. 22% of the world's forests are in Russia.
- Wood Consumption and Resource Conservation Alliance This is a clearinghouse for techniques to reduce wood consumption and alternatives to virgin forest products, such as recycled, kenaf, hemp, agricultural residues and other biobased products.
- Forests Monitor Contributes to the debate about sustainable forest management by collating and disseminating information on companies operating in the forestry sector around the world.
- PEFC - Pan European Forest Council Promotes an internationally credible framework for forest certification schemes and initiatives in European countries.
- Focus on Forests Describes issues facing forests today. Aimed at 11-14 year olds studying for Keystage 3.
- New Forest Life Project Restoring Europe's ancient woods, heaths, wetlands and associated wildlife. Project based in the New Forest, Hampshire England.
- The Centre for Agricultural Research in Suriname Brief information on the CELOS Forest Management System, Wood technology research and Forest Classification; based in Suriname.
- Tropenbos International; Tropical forest research Tropical forest research for nature conservation and sustainable use of rain forests in Cameroon, Colombia, Guyana, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Vietnam
- Mamirau Sustainable Development Reserve The Mamirau Project in Brazil, a non-profit NGO combining research and sustainable development.
- European Tropical Forest Research Network Fosters research and public education. Features list of projects, information on workshops, funding opportunities and contacts.
- World Resource Institute- Forest Frontiers Initiative FFI is a five year, multi-disciplinary effort to promote stewardship in and around the world's last major frontier forests by influencing investment, policy, and public opinion.
- Economics of Forest Protection and Management Find out about the economics of forests in the Southern U.S. and beyond, including measuring the sustainability of forestry, valuing nonmarket benefits, estimating the response of landowners to policy and incentive programs, projecting future timber supplies, modeling land use changes and forest fragmentation, and the understanding the potentials of ecotourism and agroforestry.
- Plant-It 2020 Foundation Founded by singer John Denver, Plant-It 2000 is a nonprofit foundation dedicated to properly planting, maintaining and protecting as many indigenous trees as possible worldwide.
- World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) An international consortium of governments, private foundations, and development banks created to develop a network of harvest centers in the developing world. Purpose of group is to help restore soil fertility, create commercial cultivation, use trees to enhance the environment and support research in this area. Page gives news and list of projects.
- Southern Forest Resource Assessment A multi-agency evaluation of the status of forest resources of the southern U.S., their productivity, ecological diversity and sustainability. Led by the USDA Forest Service.
- Fundacion Jocotoco Information about rainforest reserves in Ecuador.
- Trees, Climate and People Blog discussing tree biology and plant science in a human-dominated world.
- Sundarbans Information on conservation and the ethnographic and social features of the Sundarbans virgin forest region, Bangladesh.
- Seek the Rainforest Path Educational site explaining that rainforests are the lungs of the world and are being destroyed at an alarming rate, and asking what we can do about it.
- The Beech Scheme Provides material that largely supports a proposal to sustainably manage beech forests on 0.1 million hectares in New Zealand.
- Forest & Environment Forum Bulletin Board on Forestry and the Environment. Forums on Environment, Land Use, Technology, Forestry, Funding, Research, Deforestation, policy, Economics, Poverty, Modeling, News ,Books, etc..
- WWF - Global Forest and Trade Network The Network is committed to producing and purchasing forest products from well-managed forests and to supporting independent certification.
- British Trees Guide to the native trees of Britain, plus links to other web resources on forestry and conservation of British Native trees, including forest conservation organizations.
Las Nubes Neotropical Research Center
Las Nubes Neotropical Research and Conservation Center is located in southern Costa Rica. It is a joint project of the Faculty of Environmental Studies of York University in Toronto and the Tropical Science Center in San Jose. Its objectives are biodiversity protection, local community development, and environmental education.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:02:36 CET (http://www.yorku.ca/~lasnubes/)
British Columbia Ministry of Forests
An official government site about forest policy in British Columbia. Site also includes facts and data.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:02:39 CET (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content?id=A90244BA9C1B4BC6A63304C413DB75EA)
FAO Forestry Department
United Nations, Forests and forestry global portal.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:02:56 CET (http://www.fao.org/forestry/en/)
Tropical forest research for nature conservation and sustainable use of rain forests in Cameroon, Colombia, Guyana, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Vietnam.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:03:29 CET (http://www.tropenbos.org/)
Be Woods Wise! - The Maine Forest Service
The Maine Forest Service, shares your vision for beautiful, healthy and productive woodland. We respect your decisions, and can help put your decisions into action.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:03:49 CET (http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/index.shtml)
Research in sustainable management, ecology and conservation of the Atlantic Brazilian Rainforest.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:04:13 CET (http://en.iracambi.com/)
The Native Forests of New Zealand
Learn about the various types and distinctive character of native forests in New Zealand; their unbroken lineage to the ancient forests of Gondwana and the impact of human activity on these forests. Includes images, references, links and books.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:04:28 CET (http://www.natureandco.com/info.html)
Trees for the Future
International tree planting project, working through education around the world.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 11:04:32 CET (http://trees.org/)