The World Commission on Environment and Development (the Brundtland Commission), defined "sustainable development" as follows in the report Our Common Future (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1987): "Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It contains within it two key concepts: the concept of "needs", in particular the essential needs of the world's poor, to which overriding priority should be given; and the idea of limitations imposed by the state of technology and social organization on the environment's ability to meet present and future needs." Sustainability can encompass many things and can be pursued on several different levels and scales. This section of the Open Directory addresses global-scale sustainability, regional and community sustainability, and sustainable living in daily lives. ("Think globally, act locally.")
Related categories 3
Loading new listings for you to review...
- European Partners for the Environment (EPE) Network of European organizations, companies, trade unions and related groups working on sustainable development. Site has extensive resources on links on sustainability at all scales. Special topics include green purchasing, sustainable tourism, and Europe-specific environmental sourcebooks.
- Green Alliance A UK organisation that aims to promote sustainable development by ensuring that the environment is at the heart of decision-making.
- GPI Atlantic - Genuine Progress Index for Atlantic Canada Non-profit research group developing an index for measuring sustainable development for Nova Scotia, integrating social, economic, and environmental variables.
- IISDnet International Institute for Sustainable Development. Focus is on sustainability at the global, regional, and community scales.
- The Knossus Project US based research and development firm that promotes integrated sustainable systems.
- Pee Dee Resource Conservation and Development Center Purpose is to promote conservation and sustainable rural development. Includes archived newsletters council members, events calendar, historic markers, and educational articles. Located in South Carolina.
- Greening Australia Diverse information about sustainable agriculture, native ecosystems, and issues. Site offers different territory specific sections.
- WWW Virtual Library: Sustainable Development A list of internet sites dealing with sustainable development, including organisations, projects and activities, electronic journals, libraries, references and documents, databases.
- Institute for Local Self Reliance (ILSR) The ILSR is a nonprofit research and educational organization that provides technical assistance and information on environmentally sound economic development strategies.
- Best Practices in Sustainable Development Searchable database cataloging over 650 good and best practices from more than 90 countries on how people, their communities, the public and private sectors have been able to tackle critical social, economic and environmental problems.
- Towards Sustainability UK site with links and resources for sustainable development initiatives.
- Second Nature: Education for Sustainability Nonprofit organization working to help colleges and universities expand their efforts to make environmentally sustainable and just action a foundation of learning and practice. Organization information and resources for promoting sustainability.
- Global Environment and Technology Foundation Information resources promoting the development and use of innovative technology to achieve sustainable development.
- Sustainable Architecture Building and Culture A unique compendium of links for those interested in sustainable design and building. A good start, when moving toward making life easier on the earth.
- Tools of Change: Proven Methods for Promoting Health and Environmental Citizenship Case studies, planning guides and worksheets for programs to promote healthier and/or more environmentally sustainable actions and habits.
- Sustainable Systems New Zealand organization offering workshops, consultancy, and other education, training and support, to further the particular goals of a business or organization while advancing a sustainable environment.
- Favorite Destinations of Liberty Graphics Links to online resources for sustainable agriculture, ecology, wildlife, organic farming, and other environmentally concerned companies.
- Community Action Network Works towards sustainable social, health, educational, and economic outcomes through engaging the community in a planning and implementation process that coordinates public, private, and individual actions and resources. Includes issue information, legislative agenda, reports, and calendar of events.
- Center for Ecoliteracy Works with schools and networks on education for sustainable living.
- Novatlantis: ETH Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich initiatives for sustainability, energy, ecology and economy. Includes information about current projects and upcoming events. English/French/German.
- Sustainability - US EPA US Environmental Protection Agency programs, research and activities related to Urban Sustainability; Water and Ecosystem Services; Energy, Biofuels and Climate Change; and Materials Management and Human Health.
- Die-Off Hundreds of articles by Jay Hanson and others citing statistics to show that human energy use will result in human extinction. With historical quotes, explanatory charts and graphs, and links.
- Schumacher Center For New Economics Organization promoting social and environmental sustainability through decentralism. Information on philosophies, projects and lectures; community-oriented economies, local currencies, community land trusts, and similar measures.
- Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) Independent, international research institute specialising in sustainable development and environment issues at local, national, regional and global policy levels. Aims to clarify the requirements, strategies and policies for a transition to sustainability. These goals are linked to the principles advocated in Agenda 21 and the Conventions such as Climate Change, Ozone Layer Protection and Biological Diversity.
- Donella Meadows Institute A "think-do tank" dedicated to sustainable resource use, economics, and community. Providing information, analysis, and practical demonstrations that can foster transitions to sustainable systems at all levels of society, from local to global. Limited information on website.
- Sustainability Web Ring The webring focuses on the efforts of organizations to achieve sustainable development.
- The Guardian - Sustainable Business Collected news, ideas and insights for progressive business leaders. Includes hubs, events, awards, network membership, directory and jobs.
- Context Institute Explores how human society can become sustainable, and serves as a catalyst for voluntary change toward a more humane and sustainable culture.
Sustainable Development Department
of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), providing multilateral financial assistance for Latin America and the Caribbean. Provides technical advice to Bank project teams, and creates and disseminates knowledge on sustainable development issues with three divisions: Social Development; Environment and Natural Resources; and Infrastructure and Financial Markets.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 12:08:49 CET (http://www.iadb.org/topics/index.cfm)
Website about sustainable development in the construction, engineering, planning and property sectors. Searchable listings of sustainability events, searchable index, and sample articles. Focus is on the UK.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 12:09:12 CET (http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/)
Forum on Science and Technology for Sustainability
Facilitates information exchange including key documents, events, web sites, ideas, and discussions within the emerging field of sustainability science.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 12:09:49 CET (http://www.aaas.org/)
Institute for Sustainable Development
At Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. Offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses and scientific research programs.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 12:09:58 CET (http://www.qut.edu.au/institute-for-future-environments)