Area Studies focus on the history, politics, economics, demographics, and geography of a given country or region (such as the Andes, South Pacific, or Central Asia). Area Studies also create profiles that can be used to predict or explain current events. Traditionally, they were data driven and often highly quantitative in nature. Relatively recently, many scholars in the field have embraced a more interpretive perspective and focus on more qualitative areas, including religion, literature, music, philosophy, and even art history. Area Studies have key differences with related Social Sciences. Ethnic Studies are written from the perspective of the group being studied. Area Studies, on the other hand, are generally written from an outsiders perspective. Unlike Anthropology, the 'culture concept', is not a central organizing theme for the discipline. Area Studies are distinct from Sociology in that they do not primarily focus on social relationships and institutions.
Related categories 5
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Theodora.com - Countries of the World Information from the CIA World Fact Book (with 20 years of archives), United Nations Statistical Office, Library of Congress Country Studies and other sources. Features calculated country ranks, maps, country and airport codes.
- CIA World Fact Book Lists population, government, military, and economic information for nations recognized by the United States.
- Countries Quest Directory features articles about different countries organized by continent and offers information on natural resources, people, arts, economy, government, and history.
- Country Studies: Area Handbook Series Series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division sponsored by the Department of the Army. This online series presently contains studies of 102 countries.
- NationMaster.com Provides country and regional graphs and descriptive statistics based on geography, military, economy, crime, education, and transportation.
- Culturelink Network Network of networks for research and cooperation in cultural development. Features databank of regional policies, institutions, and resources; current publications and research; membership and participation information.
- Aneki.com Offers country and regional profiles including maps, information on literacy, GNP, poverty, and comparison rankings.
- UNICEF Countries Gives an overview of economics, politics, healthcare, nutrition and crimes rates occurring in nations around the world, especially as it affects children.
- Global Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences Study focus on globalization, international governance and cultural change. Degree program jointly run by universities in Freiburg, New Delhi, and Singapore.
Institute for Global Studies - University of Minnesota
Creates curriculum and seminars to study global issues. Page includes news, events and staff information.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-11 20:46:46 CET (http://cla.umn.edu/global-studies)