Parapsychology is the branch of psychology which attempts to scientifically study anomalous phenomena such as alleged psychic powers, UFO sightings, alien abduction experiences, haunting or possession experiences, etc. One does not have to take a position on the objective reality of such alleged phenomena to be a parapsychologist. Indeed, although admittedly there are very few tenured parapsychology researchers in the world, some of them think that there is no convincing evidence for any (or hardly any) of these "paranormal" phenomena; some state that the evidence for, say, remote viewing, is very compelling; and some parapsychologists prefer not to be drawn on their true beliefs, simply saying "We must investigate these phenomena without either dismissing them out of hand as non-existent, nor necessarily taking them at face value". There is thus a certain amount of overlap with the Society: Paranormal category and the Science: Anomalies and Alternative Science category, but this category is restricted specifically to scientific investigations (that is, investigations using a recognizably scientific and rationalist methodology) of the paranormal and other presently-inexplicable anomalies involving the human mind.
Related categories 4
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Society for Psychical Research Founded to advance the understanding of events and abilities commonly described as 'psychic' or 'paranormal'. Membership details, journal, research directory, notices, conferences, and contact information.
- Parapsychological Association Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- The Paranormal: the Evidence and its Implications for Consciousness Article by Jessica Utts and Brian D. Josephson discussing the evidence for paranormal remote viewing.
- Stephan A. Schwartz Magazine articles, research papers, and interview transcripts.
- American Society for Psychical Research Founded in 1885, the ASPR supports the scientific investigation of extraordinary, or yet unexplained phenomena that have been called psychic or paranormal.
- Rhine Research Center Promotes research and investigation of paranormal science. Actively seeking accounts of paranormal or psychic experiences.
- International Academy of Conscientiology Non-profit research and educational organization that studies out-of-body experience (OBE), bioenergy, paranormal phenomena, and consciousness development.
- Southeastern Institute of Parapsychology Investigations and research on the paranormal. Includes articles and theories on ghosts, hauntings, psychic abilities, and offers certification awards.
- Parapsychology Foundation A not-for-profit grant-making foundation which provides a support for the scientific investigation of psychic phenomena. Provides information about the organization, publications, grants, and news.
- Psychic Science Free online educational-entertainment resources for parapsychology, psychical research and mind magic.
- Mind Energy A blog covering parapsychology, psi research, ESP, healing and alternative medicine.
- Science of the Subjective Paper by Robert Jahn and Brenda Dunne of PEAR.
- Sean Harribance Institute for Parapsychology Research Scientific reports, biography and predictions from the psychic Sean Harribance.
- Koestler Parapsychology Unit Department of Psychology, University of Edinburgh. Information and online experiments.
- The Scole Experiment Paranormal activity investigated over a five year period and considered to be genuine by the UK's Society for Psychical Research. Includes a collection of articles and papers penned by SPR members and a selection of perspectives by participants. The book is also offered for sale.
- The Windbridge Institute Also researches life after death and animal consciousness. Includes peer-reviewed research papers, books and conference presentations.
- Research Articles on Spirituality Studies the relationship between spirituality and paranormal phenomena.
- Psyleron, Inc. The research and products of a company that studies the mind's ability to impact the world.
- Australian Institute of Parapsychological Research, Inc Based in Sydney, New South Wales. Publishes a peer-reviewed journal twice a year with back issues available. Offers certification courses. Listed are past events and information about their publications.
- The Afterlife Uncovered A worldwide group set up to replicate the Scole Experiment of 1993 with the goal being to film the proceedings. Gives some historical information about the previous experiment and offers a blog.
- ASSMPI Spirit and Science Journal Researches life after death by studying mediumship and spirit healing. Includes photographs of the editorial team and peer-reviewed cases.