Organic Food is the category of Food/Drink which is grown, processed, and/or managed by "organic standards."
"Organic" means no exposure to many harmful herbicides and pesticides, and is also a way of farming (agriculture).
That involves the "health" of the soil and ecosystem in which crops and livestock are raised. Organic practices recognize that a healthy, vibrant, and live soil and ecosystem significantly benefits crops. Natural, undisturbed soil is alive with microbiotic organisms which exist in harmony between the native plant life and the inorganic minerals that provide the soil's substrate. When herbicides, pesticides, and fast acting inorganic fertilizers are used, the microbiotic activity is destroyed, and soil becomes merely an anchor for plant material, which requires constant input to continue.
From (MOFGA) Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners page
Related categories 4
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Organic Pathways A link list to articles about organic food.
- Don't Panic Eat Organic A personal page about organic food and issues.
- Organic Authority Ezine featuring articles and interviews about organic food and gardening, with recipes and descriptions of health benefits.
- Nature & More Site Provides information regarding organic food purchases, with farm and product background. Lists general and company specific news regarding organic growing.
- Organic.org News, articles, recipes, product reviews and other resources on organic foods.
- Organic Foodee Magazine and weblog offer recipes, news, book reviews and features.