Issues related to the availability and use of emergency contraception. Emergency contraceptives are methods of preventing pregnancy after unprotected sexual intercourse (usually up to 72 hours after). They do not protect against sexually transmitted infections. Emergency contraception is not abortion, although some people who object to abortion also object to emergency contraception. Sites about health aspects of emergency contraception (how it works, where to get emergency contraceptive supplies, etc.) are found in Health/Reproductive_Health/Birth_Control/Emergency_Contraception/ .
Related categories 1
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Consortium for Emergency Contraception International consortium promoting availability of emergency contraception and providing advice on developing local programs. Advocacy information, reports on experiences with EC in developing countries, and other materials.
- Survey Finds Pharmacists, Public Favor Widespread Access to Emergency Contraception Results of a U.S. opinion survey.
- The Morning After Pill Site asserts that "morning after" emergency contraception is just another abortion approach that kills a human life.
- Emergency Contraception (a.k.a. "Morning After Pill") A thorough summary of the issues, from ReligiousTolerance.org.
- There's Got To Be a Morning After Issues surrounding emergency contraception in Australia and initiatives to make the pills easier to obtain.
- CNN: Wal-Mart to Carry Plan B Contraception News on the announcement that the chain would reverse its former stance and begin stocking emergency contraceptives (morning-after pills) in its pharmacies.
- Plan B Battles Embroil States Washington Post reports that after the US Food and Drug Administration failed to decide whether or not to make the "morning-after" pill available without a prescription, most states are considering legislation to expand or restrict access to the drug.
- FDA Official Quits Over Delay on Plan B US Food and Drug Administration official in charge of women's health issues resigned in protest against the decision to further delay a final ruling on whether the "morning-after pill" should be made more easily accessible.
- FDA: Plan B Information US FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research documents related to the proposal to move this emergency contraception medication to over-the-counter status. Includes FAQ about the drug and the review process.
- Plan B Pill Snarls FDA Nominee Hearings US Today reports that over-the-counter emergency contraception was the main issue in Congressional hearings on the nomination of Andrew von Eschenbach to head the Food and Drug Administration.
- Contraception Editorial: From American Idol to Plan B: A Call for a Shift in Priorities Perspectives on the effectiveness and potential for emergency contraception to reduce unintended pregnancy in the U.S.
- Plan B: The Behind-the-Counter Over-the-Counter Pill? Article traces the saga of the controversies and delays related to the request for U.S. FDA approval of over the counter sales of the emergency contraceptive.