Voluntary Simplicity is about making a conscious choice to act in a more sustainable and natural way. This is the category for sites relating to such a choice and its benefits and consequences. The term "Voluntary Simplicity" was coined by Duane Elgin, author of the book Voluntary Simplicity first published in 1981. It means adopting a simpler life-style by reducing our consumption in order to help conserve the earth's dwindling resources. Many feel that the simple life is less stressful and more fulfilling -- it's a way to reduce the number of hours spent working for pay and increase the time spent with children, friends, family or contributing to the community. (credit due to thegarden.com for this bit of definition)
Related categories 8
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Voice Yourself Project started by Woody Harrelson and Laura Louie to encourage citizens to protest pollution of the air, soil, and water through everyday choices and behaviors. Includes information about their bike and bus tour, recipes, a guide to farms, and a forum.
- Center For a New America Dream Non-profit movement of anti-consumerism - simplifying lifestyles by reducing waste and only buying what is needed in order to be happier and preserve the earth.
- The Center for Whole Communities Beautiful learning center dedicated to nurturing the relationship between people and the land, a community gathering place, and a working family farm in Fayston, VT.
- Affluenza: PBS Program on the Epidemic of Overconsumption The online companion to the PBS program on the high social and environmental costs of overconsumption and materialism, helps to recognize and treat affluenza as well as educate the public.
- Wilderdom: A Project in Natural Living & Transformation Wilderdom refers to "natural living". They seek to explore human-nature relations and to derive sustainable solutions to modern-living. Wilderdom is also a sustainable living center in Australia.
- The Journal of Voluntary Simplicity Subscription information for the quarterly journal about simplifying our lives. Includes information on related books.
- Simple Living Resource Guide Resource guide for people interested in voluntary simplicity, simple living, and downsizing, maintained by the Pierce Simplicity Study.
- Live Simple An E-book that sets out specific suggestions for simplifying possessions, home, daily routines, personal goals, and use of resources.
- Simple Living Network Sponsors a huge range of simple living resources as well as communities and books. A one-stop place for most subjects involving simplifying your own life.
- A Real Hermit A photographic story about a hermit that lives in the woods of Ohio, describing his lifestyle in a tiny cabin.
- Hitch Hike Mike: Mike Gitelman A Canadian hitchhiker and traveller, with his autobiographical writings on his voluntary homelessness, and a description of his simple life in a tree house.
- Work, Money, Time, Future - Arbeit, Geld, Zeit, Zukunft Thoughts on work, money, time and future with questions that make us reconsider what we are doing to impact our lives and the future.
- Northwest Earth Institute Discussion courses on sustainability, deep ecology, living in place, and the practice of simplicity for groups and individuals in the Northwest and across the United States.
- Hermitary Offers resources and reflections on hermits, eremiticism, and solitude, which is a form of voluntary simplicity. Includes articles on historical and living hermits, news, book reviews, and philosophical essays on solitude.
- Live Simply With Style Authors Mary Helen and Shuford Smith offer retirement, travel, and photography tips for a simple lifestyle.
- Barenakedfamily.com Family whose values include getting rid of stuff to simplify their lives and live their dreams. Describes their eccentric traveling lifestyle and unschooling with photos.
- Raventalk A portal for exploring how to create a sustainable planet future. Provides connections to people, activists and ideas which are working towards a healthy and sustainable planet for all living beings.
- The Lilypad List: 7 Steps to the Simple Life About the book by Marian Van Eyk McCain. Online sales, information about the author and illustrator, and the author's other books.
- Welcome to Voluntary Simplicity A weblog about voluntary simplicity guided by permaculture principles.
- Choosing Voluntary Simplicity An illustrated guide to simple living and self-reliance.
- Thoughts on Voluntary Simplicity Explains the difference between voluntary simplicity and frugality; articles on topics such as building the simple life.
- Natural Life Magazine News and articles about sustainable living, health, family, livelihood, and mostly voluntary simplicity, since 1976.
- The New Road Map Foundation Providing people with practical tools and innovative approaches for managing and mastering basic life challenges.
- Voluntary Simplicity Study Circles by Janet Luhrs Article from In Context on Janet Luhrs' study circles in sustainable agriculture and voluntary simplicity.