Conservatism is sometimes mischaracterized as mere resistance to change or modernity. For example, the Encyclopædia Britannica definition states
"Conservatism: Political philosophy that emphasizes conserving as much as possible of the present economic, social, and political order."It must be added that this approach is stated in contrast to radical ones, in which the very principles or institutions conservatives assume to underlie a society are attacked. In practical political terms, conservatives may actually advocate substantial changes in policy or outlook to preserve such institutions or principles, although the specific positions held by the conservative party will vary from time to time and place to place.
Just as conservative traditionalism contrasts with radicalism in the arena of social or political change, conservative realism contrasts with liberal rationalism. Conservatives holds that civilizations are complex and organic rather than reductive and mechanical, and that the judgment of a person or a school during a single lifetime is fallible and unreliable. Therefore, the instigation of new policy is fraught with the danger first, of unintended consequences that undermine society, and second, of fallacy. Conservatism is frequently at odds with ideology, technocracy, and theories which favor imposed change.
Conservatives have existed as long as there has been tradition to conserve, but as a philosophy, conservatism is most commonly traced to the Irish-born Edmund Burke. His seminal work Reflections on the Revolution in France contrasted the radical and bloody French Revolution-- which sought to completely rebuild society from its foundations-- with the American Revolution, which maintained the preexisting social and economic systems, and most political systems, even amidst the expulsion of the sovereign power.
Related categories 4
Loading new listings for you to review...
- The Rutherford Institute A non-profit conservative legal organization dedicated to the defense of civil, especially religious, liberties and human rights.
- Infowars The web page of syndicated radio host Alex Jones. Conspiracy-tinted site containing strong opposition to socialism, communism, and the New World Order.
- Town Hall Conservative news and information portal, hosting columns, discussion area, live chat, multimedia, issue library, news headlines, and directory. Hosts sites for a number of major North American policy research groups, foundations, publications, and conservative societies.
- Project 21 A networking and research organization founded in 1992 to give a voice to conservative African-Americans. Sponsored by the National Center for Public Policy Research
- The Conservative Christian Resource Center Political links of interest for Christian conservatives
- ConservativeForum.org Offers a large collection of essays, quotations, and links to right-thinking academics, journalists, authors, and activists in North America.
- The Conservative Geographer Conservative viewpoints on today's major geography related issues.
- ConservativeHQ.com A conservative web portal providing news and reviews, discussion boards, free newsletters, conservative email, online shopping.
- Underground Notes Conservative links, news, computer help, music, books, articles and reviews, movie reviews.
- OrthodoxNet.com Providing news, information and commentary from a conservative Orthodox Christian perspective on social and cultural issues of our times.
- Breaking All the Rules A collection of essays on politics and current events with an "America First" bent. Includes archives and related links.
- The Republican Papers A collection of articles and user-submitted essays, including text of recent speeches.
Conservative Politics at About.com
News, commentary, editorial cartoons, newsletter, and an extensive directory of links concerning conservative political issues, organizations, and media.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-16 03:41:06 CET (https://www.thoughtco.com/us-conservative-politics-4133006)