Agnosticism is a term originally coined by Thomas H. Huxley in the 1840s to refer to an ideology which states, primarily, that the nature of the universe and of existence itself cannot be known. Hence, it is foolish to pretend otherwise, and all attempts to the contrary must necessarily end in dogma lacking in all form of proof. From Huxley's "Agnosticism": "Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle ... Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect, do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable."
Related categories 4
Loading new listings for you to review...
- Zelazny's Agnostic's Prayer Agnostic's Prayer from Zelazny's "Creatures of Light and Darkness."
- The Skeptic's Dictionary Over 400 skeptical definitions and essays on occult, paranormal, supernatural and pseudoscientific ideas and practices with references to the best skeptical literature.
- Agnosticism: Being Uncertain About the Existence of God Agnostic references and resources, brief biographies of famous agnostics, quotations.
- Why I Am Agnostic Robert G. Ingersoll's 1896 explanation.
- Agnostic Resource Site Several links to sites with atheist, agnostic, and Christian views, with brief commentary, and subjective rating of each site.
- Weak Agnosticism Graham Oppy defends "weak agnosticism," the view that "it is permissible for reasonable persons to suspend judgement on the question of God's existence."
- What Is Agnosticism? A history of the development of agnostic thought written by HJ Blackham.
- Evangelical Agnosticism This article by William Henry Young provides some history about agnosticism since 1869 and suggests reasons for the introduction of the term evangelical agnosticism.
- The Origin of the Word 'Agnosticism' An article by Bill Young providing the origin of the word Agnostic.
- Reasoned Spirituality An analysis of spirituality, human behaviour, and the quest for the meaning of life.
- The Agnostic Light Temple A Spokane based agnostic church offering ordination by e-mail.
- Church of the Apathetic Agnostic Extensive site expressing agnosticism as a legitimate religious doctrine. Membership and ordination offered. Many essays regularly updated.
- Apathetic Agnostic Church of Mississippi The Mississippi Synod of the Apathetic Agnostic Church, with several classic essays on agnosticism and links.
- Agnosticism Defined Brief description of Agnosticism from the Victorian Web by Everett and Landow.
- Creation vs. Evolution Articles on various creationist theories and arguments, the value of genuine scientific inquiry, and a personal journey from fundamentalist to agnostic by Edward T Babinski.
- Definitions of Agnosticism Definitions of agnosticism, weak agnosticism and strong agnosticism.
- Evolutionary Metaphysics: Shattering the Sacred Myths Extends the theory of evolution to include the struggle for political power and the development of advanced technology, and contemplates the existence of the universe and questions whether consciousness has any kind of cosmic purpose.
- The Left Hand of God An agnostic, progressive, and mildly cynical weblog on religion.
- Thomas Henry Huxley Brief biography of Thomas Henry Huxley, inventor of the term agnosticism
- The Secular Web: Atheism A shared resource for Atheists, Agnostics and Freethinkers on the Web.
- The Freethinkers of Colorado Springs A freethought site from Colorado Springs, CO with news, articles, commentary, and a bulletin board.
Agnosticism / Atheism Discussion Forum
Discussion board on atheism, agnosticism and related issues.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-16 06:07:40 CET (http://atheism.about.com)
Definition and history of the concept of agnosticism, comparisons with atheism, and examination of its origins.
HTTP 301 detected on 2017-07-16 06:07:52 CET (http://atheism.about.com/index.htm)