Emulation is the process of simulating the hardware of one computer (particularly the processor) via software on a different one. In other words, it allows you to use software meant for another system that you may not have access to by running a program on your system. For instance, an emulator will let you use an arcade machine that no longer exist or use a game console that can no longer be purchased. Note that this category is different from Games: Video Games: Emulation because the focus here is on the emulation of personal computer systems and Operating Systems running on these.
Related categories 3
Loading new listings for you to review...
- PCE Open source Atari ST, IBM PC 5150, Macintosh, and RC759 Piccoline emulators for Unix and Windows.
- st20emu A freeware ST20 emulator for DOS.
- cinc An open source Bell Labs cardiac emulator for Linux and Windows/Cygwin.
- Emuviews Great emulation page maintained by JoseQ, maker of the famous Rumor Mill, many downloads, great layout - some hosted sites.
- Japanese Computer Emulation Centre A site dedicated to the emulation of Japanese Machines including X68000, PC6001, PC88, PC98, MSX 1/2/R, Sharp MZ, Sharp X1, Fujitsu FM7, and Fujitsu FM Towns.
- Desktop Cyber A CDC (Control Data Corporation) Cyber 6x00, 7x or 17x type mainframe emulator for Windows or Unix.
- mic1 A Java-based simulator which implements the Mic-1 microarchitecture described in Chapter 4 of Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Structured Computer Organization, Fourth Edition. [Open source, GPL]
- Emu51 An open source 8051 emulator for Linux and Windows.
- SIMH An open source collection of emulators for Windows of historical computers, including GRI-909, HP 2116/2100/21MX, IBM 1401/1620/1130/System 3, PDP-1/4/7-11/15/VAX. Also provides software kits, system photographs, and technical papers.
- CP/M An open source CP/M-80 ver2.2 emulator for MacOS.
- KCemu An open source emulator of the KC85 homecomputer series for Linux and Windows.
- FunnyMu A freeware Creativision, Funvision, and Whizzard emulator for Linux/SDL.
- PearPC An open source PowerPC emulator for Unix and Windows.
- Solace An open source Sol-20 emulator for Windows.
- Altair32 An open source Altair emulator for Windows.
- vmips An open source MIPS R3000 emulator for Unix.
- Emu28 An open source HP18C/28C emulator for Windows.
- Emu48 An open source HP38/39/40/48/49 emulator for Windows.
- Free42 Open source HP-42S emulator for Android, Linux/i386, Mac OS, PalmOS, Pocket PC, Windows, and Zaurus X/Qt.
- GXemul An open source full-system computer architecture emulation framework for Unix-like systems. Screenshots, download, and documentation.
- QDAE Open source Apricot emulator for Linux and Windows.
- HP15c Shareware HP-15C emulator for Windows.
- WinTVC Freeware Videoton TV Computer emulator for Windows.
- Agat Emulator Open source Apple 2 and Agat 7/9 emulator.
- Emu71 Open Source HP71B Emulator for Windows.
- Emulator2001 and DSVZ200 Freeware Arcadia 2001 and VZ200/VZ300 emulators for Windows.
- XRoar Open source Dragon 32/64 and Tandy CoCo emulator for GP32, Linux, MacOS/PPC, Nintendo DS, and Windows.
- UKNCBTL An open source UKNC (MS 0511) emulator for Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.